Saturday 9 February 2008

Out of the Ordinary: Spectacular Craft @ V&A




I did enjoy this exhibition. I liked that it made you stop to look carefully and marvel at how it was done.

My highlight was Susan Collis. At first I thought Bah. Something pretentious and boring. It looked like an old table and some paint splattered rags. But actually the splatters were embroidered and the paint on the table was opal and pearl :D There were nails and things in the walls made of precious materials also. I love that it looked like old rubbish but that when you stopped to look carefully it was shimmering and beautiful. A cunning trick :)
Also liked Yoshihiro Suda who makes realistic wooden flowers and then they grow unexpectedly in the gallery. The best bit is the weeds on the balcony, not with the rest of the exhibition. It made the V&A seem like a slightly different place. Like nature was coming in and they didn't notice or mind.

No comments: