Wednesday 3 June 2009

Kuniyoshi @ RA



Caught this on Saturday :) Good. Times. Delicious detailed woodblock prints of epic battles. Many with oversized animals :D

Part of the joy was definitely the descriptions that went with the prints, telling the storys. Example: "He disappeared beneath the sea and reappeared moments later with a crocodile under each arm. An unprecedented feat."

The picture at the top shows a bird that thinks it has landed on a nice branch but in fact, unfortunately, it has landed on giant lobster whisker!

Yay!

Sinister storytelling + beautiful prints = <3

1 comment:

BB said...

Ooh I'm glad you liked it :) So impressive, huh!? Did you see the one with the birds chatting to one another? I liked the animal-esque prints and felt disappointed by the prints of women. And Tom bought me one of my favourite prints in the form of a book marker. I will show it to you one day, love.