Thursday 15 November 2007

Tell us a story, grandpa bear!

Having to spend 2 and a half hours, 6 days a week commuting, I get quite alot of reading done! I've been greedily reading lots of childrens books from the library...I'd forgotten how good they are! 2 recent reads are The Goose Girl by Shannon Hale and The Dream Merchant by Isabel Hoving.

Goose Girl is based on a Grimm fairytale, which I didn't find out till later but it is very like a hearty satisfying fairytale - same charm and satisfaction but a whole book full :D Involving a princess forced to trade places with her maid while travelling to another country to marry a prince she's never met, becomes a goose girl and a stronger person and of course everything turns out well :) yay. She's the sort of awkward character I'm not usually a fan of (like the nameless heroine of Rebecca by Du Maurier) but I liked her and
I liked the way she grew as a person. And talked to geese :)

Dream Merchant is very kids fantasy, the sort of thing that could be a cbbc show (not that theres anything wrong with that). Kids having adventures in fantasy worlds. Theres a big corporation that wants more customers so they want to sell people things in the past so they send these kids into dream worlds to try to find out how to travel in time...then the kids get stuck in the dreamworld and need to complete a quest to get back to reality. I wasn't too sure at first...but the kids are likeable (even if their talents are excessive) and the quest is exciting, entertaining and I like letting my thoughts drift back to it. In a way it reminds me of Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell. His book goes forward in time and back again - different stories and characters interlinked like a russian doll. Dream Merchant is one story but the constant time change (every time they fall asleep time goes back 300 years) and the different places they travel to bring Cloud Atlas to mind.

No comments: