Saturday 1 February 2014

Jameel Prize 3 - V&A



This fast and beatiful circle of pattern by Mounir Fatmi caught my eye as I wandered into the V&A and so I visited the Jameel Prize 3 exhibition.

I love arabic calligraphy so the work of Mounir Fatmi and Nasser Al Salem immediately appealed to me as both play with arabic lettering. Nasser Al Salem in a more minimalist way. Mounir Fatmi with layers and movement to create the effect of machinery and the fast pace of cities, change and development.

Faig Ahmed also depicts change and development with his carpets which follow traditional designs with surprising twists - a sudden warping of the design or a half pixellated carpet. Showing how traditions can change.

Another piece I liked was a a section of floor that looked beautifully tiled but was actually created using spices by Laurent Mareschal.

The Jameel Prize is for contemporary art and design inspired by Islamic traditions. All the work is interesting and there is more info and pictures on the V&A website (link below). On till 21st April 2014.


Link:

Jameel Prize 3 - V&A

No comments: