Thursday 8 May 2008

Julia Lohmann - Kelp Construct - Grand Designs/Icon Experiment




The second talk I went to was really good. Julia Lohmann showed her experiments with using seaweed to make lights. She collected lots of seaweed and wrapped it round geometrical forms so it hardened in pretty shapes. She also talked about her other work, leather sofas in the shape of cows. All her work has a sort of message, somethings she is trying to bring attention to. Like the sofas are about eating meat/using leather. She made lovely lamps out of animal stomach and made the good point, why should that be disgusting if leather is not disgusting? The seaweed I think is about ocean sustainability and over fishing. I like that she has something to say but that she does it rather beautifully and usefully. It is very experimental and more like art than design. I tend to feel alot of art is ugly and pretentious, saying something no one can understand. So I like art to be beautiful. I like design because it can be beautiful and useful. Julia's work is a nice mix I think.


No comments: