Saturday 8 December 2007

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak


Finally finished this. I was really enjoying this on a book loan from work, but then there was a stock take, so I only just got back to it. About 2 months later - and I wasn't fussed which possibly says something about it. It is good though. Its Germany World War 2, the story, narrated by death, of a young german girl who steals books, her relationship with her family and the jew they hide in their basement and how important words are. Being narrated by death feels gimmicky and the story doesn't quite ring true for me because of this. But the ending traumatised me and I cried. So it was good. And the mother, Rosa was such a good character. I love her. I like the book for her. She was a hard, angry, aggressive bitch but so full of love and tenderness :( sadness and weeping

No comments: